Important Information

Police reports matter!

If you do not have a police report for your auto accident, we will need to request one for you. This will take approximately two weeks and may delay setting up your case. If you want to pick up a copy, it would be appreciated and would speed up the process. You can either mail, fax, or drop it off in the office.

You may speak to the insurance adjuster about property damage on your car. Do not speak to the insurance adjuster regarding your injuries or give them a statement. If the adjuster wants to take your statement, have them contact our office first.

Keep good records.

Please keep a list of all the doctors, hospitals, medical providers, etc. you have seen for injuries related to this accident. To include the name, address, and phone numbers for each provider.

  • Please notify us of all phone number and address changes. It is very important that we be able to contact you concerning your case.
  • Our office will be in contact with you throughout your course of treatment, but please contact us if any new developments occur.
  • Please mail us all medical bills that you have received for treatment from your auto accident.
  • After your treatment, requesting and receiving medical records can take one to three months.
  • Once we receive all medical records and bills, we will submit a settlement demand package to the insurance company. Allowing mailing and reviewing time it typically takes 3 to 4 weeks to hear back from the insurance company.
  • When we begin the negotiation process to settle your claim, the attorney handling your case will contact you to discuss any and all settlement offers.

Once a settlement has been reached and we receive the check in our office, we will contact you immediately so that you can make arrangements to come to our office to sign the final documents. It is not necessary for you to call and check with us daily. However, if two weeks have passed and you have not heard from our office, then please go ahead and call us. (We may have been trying to reach you, but have been unsuccessful.)

We understand that you are going through a rough time, and we will do our best to be as responsive as possible to your individual needs.

Frequently Asked Questions For Auto Accidents

Q: Do I need to go the the Emergency room?

A: Only go to the Emergency Room after a motor vehicle accident (MVA) if you are SERIOUSLY injured.  Hospitals will sometimes run up very large bills if you have been in an MVA.  The insurance companies when paying a settlement will not consider large emergency room bills if the tests done at the hospital are negative.

Q: Do I need to go to a Doctor right away?

A: If you are injured from a  Motor Vehicle Accident, get medical treatment sooner rather than later.  Go to the Emergency Room if you are seriously injured.  If you are injured and need medical treatment but not necessarily in an emergency room – go to a medical doctor as soon as possible. Gaps in medical treatment after a  Motor Vehicle Accident are very bad for your case.

Q: What if I do not have the money or insurance to go see a doctor for my injuries?

A: If you do not have the means to see a doctor, and you are injured from a Motor Vehicle Accident contact the Law Office of Perry Ellis right away, and we will get you to a good medical doctor to treat your injuries.

Q: What insurance should I use for medical treatment?

A: If you have Group Health Insurance or Medical Payments coverage on your auto insurance policy, use your insurance to get medical treatment after a Motor Vehicle Accident.

Q: Can I use my group health insurance in the ER?

A: If you do go to the Emergency Room as a result of a Motor Vehicle Accident, and you have group health insurance, make sure to give it to the billing department at the hospital.

Q: What should I say to if I speak to the other drivers insurance company?

A: If you talk with the at fault driver's insurance company before hiring an attorney, and they ask you if you were injured in the accident,  even if you are only a little bit sore, say YES I was injured.  Because a lot of the time people feel progressively worse, as more time passes after the accident.

Q: Should I tell them about my specific injuries?

A: Do not give details of your injuries to the insurance company.  Be as general as possible. If you say one specific bodypart, and later on other bodyparts start to hurt also, the insurance company may be skeptical that you are even injured at all.  And that will decrease the settlement value of the entire case.

Q: Why can’t I just deal directly with the other drivers insurance company to get my medical treatment and lost income paid?

A: The at fault drivers insurance will NOT pay for your medical treatment, or pay your medical bills as they come due, or pay you for your lost income as a result of being disabled from work from the Motor Vehicle Accident.  They WILL pay a lump sum settlement after you are finished treatment, that will include money for any income lost as a result of being injured from the accident that can be legitimately verified by your employer, as well as money to cover your medical bills that resulted from being injured in the accident BUT they probably won’t pay you the amount you deserve!   The Law Firm of Perry Dean Ellis is YOUR advocate, not the insurance company.

Google+ © 2018 The Law Office of Perry Dean Ellis